Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Day 12 - Nauvoo, IL to Bloomington, IL

Today we spent most of the day seeing the sites in Nauvoo. I loved it. I could spend a few days there. We started with a horse and carriage ride through old Nauvoo. A sister acted as a tour guide. This was a good way to start because she gave us an overview of what was there, so we knew where we wanted to head after the tour. We started in the garden area that has 13 statues that are a tribute to women. From there we went to the family living center where they teach how the pioneers made rope, candles, bread and other things. From there we went to the bakery where they sampled out gingerbread men. Finally, we went to the kids area so Kierra could try some of the pioneer games. The entire setting was very neat, and it really helped to get a feel for what the era was like. I got a glimpse on the horse tour of what the pioneers might have felt like. Many of them felt like they were finally in Zion in Nauvoo, yet they were asked to leave. As we headed on the wagon towards the Mississippi River, we could see the Nauvoo temple fading in the background. It had to be such a hard sight for those Saints that knew they would not be back. Yet, they were faithful to what the prophet asked them to do. From there we went to Carthage. It was very interesting and heart wrenching to see where Joseph and Hyrum Smith were killed. Kindra and I went through separately, so the other could watch the girls. When I came out, Kindra asked me what I thought of it. That is a difficult question to answer. I can say that I came out of the tour with feeling confirming that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God.

Kierra Quote: "I just don't want Ariana to play with her toes like that." (a.k.a. - We have been in the car way too long.)

1 comment:

TXlaps said...

Aaahhh, Nauvoo.

The beautiful city - except on a day where the temperature gets so high they even stop the horse carriage rides! That would also be the day you'd want your AC to work.

Alas, on our visit, I spent all my time talking to a wonderful mechanic (i.e. the only mechanic) just up the road from the temple. We even wrote a blog about it!

But we did love what we were able to see of Nauvoo and Carthage. Would love to be able to spend more time there some day.