Sunday, October 12, 2008

It Works!!!


Today we had a nice Sunday family meal consisting of pork chops, rice, vegetables, and some of Kindra's delicious peach pie. After dinner, I took Ariana in the other room to play. After a few minutes, Kindra came in to talk to me. We were talking when Kierra came in with an entire pork chop in her hand. She was chewing and, all of sudden, she stopped walking and chewing. She reached for her face as it started to turn red. I realized she was choking, so I jumped up, leaned over, and gave her the heimlich manuever. She made a gurgling noise, and then a 4" x 1" x 1/2" chunk of fat from the pork chop came out of her mouth. I started saying, "Are you okay?" She just nodded her head and went in for another chunk of meat. We had a talk about getting meat by herself, and I am just glad she is okay. Now I know that the heimlich manuever really works. I hope that you can just take my word for that instead of figuring it out for yourself.

Last weekend was general conference for our church. It is a weekend full of spiritually uplifting talks. It was well-needed for me. I love relaxing with my family and listening to uplifting messages. Elder Uchtdorf gave an uplifting talk that talked to me especially. A couple of my other talks were given by President Monson, Elder Wirthlin, and Elder Perry. If you are having a rough day, check one of these talks out and it just might help.

Kid Quotes:

"That guy smells like he is way too old for me." -Kierra (referring to a guy at church)

"Hey, there's President Monson...where did his hair go?" - Kierra

5 comments:

Lott said...

I bet you were so afraid when Kierra was choking. Good job on saving her life.

Glad you enjoyed conference. I love the pic of the girls in the boxes. So cute!

Mike and Kelli said...

That is so scary! Maybe I need to brush up on my hiemlich maneuver skills just in case. I had a talk with Gracie about not laughing or tickling while we are eating. She always wants us to tickle her so I told her Gpa was tickling Leslie while she was eating and she started choking and it was real scary. Now whenever we are eating Gracie asks why Gpa did that to Leslie. I think I traumatized her. Darn. Cute pictures and good job on the update!

Keidi02 said...

Ashton choked on a pork chop at IHOP once. I just waited to see if he could get it out on his own (he was crying, so I knew air was passing it). Everyone around us was yelling at us, telling us what we should do. He eventually just coughed it out, but very scary.

adorable pearsons said...

That is the scariest story! I gasped and almost cried, and I wasn't even there and knew she was okay. Way to save her. Now I think I need to take a lesson on how to do the himulek! How was the job fair thing?

Alisha Haight said...

I like your kid quotes. I'm glad you are keeping track of those, your girls will have fun reading those when they get older.