Monday, October 29, 2007

Let Life Come

I am starting to learn to let life come, to enjoy the moment. Kierra has done a very good job of teaching me. I remember when she was first born. She was so cute...but I just couldn't wait for her to be able to crawl or walk. She would be able to get whatever she needed on her own. Then it happened. I hadn't thought that she might be able to also get things that I didn't want her to get. Then my thoughts turned to how great it would be when she could talk. Then I could explain to her what she was allowed to play with. Then it happened. For some reason I never imagined the "no's" and the "mine's" and the "I'm not listening's." Yesterday I almost got caught up in the same trap. Due to digestive problems we have not pushed potty training yet. Yesterday, Kierra came in to me stark naked and said, "I want to go pee on the toilet." I thought, "This is great! Kierra is potty trained and I didn't have to buy her new Disney Princess undies or a wet n' wipe Sally doll or a copy of The Potty is Our Friend Book." Then it happened. Three more times that night she wanted to go because we made such a big deal of how proud we were of her. It slowly dawned on me how nice diapers are. Sure they are expensive and messy. However, they wait for you. Potty trained kids do not. Kierra has shown no signs of wanting to go on the pot today, and I am perfectly happy with that. I am also perfectly happy that the only trick Ariana knows is how to smile. I enjoy the fact that she is mute and immobile. I am not going to long for the day when I am done with grad school and out of debt because it might happen, along with a mortgage and dance practice and school for kids. I am not going to long for retirement because it might happen along with arthritis and depends for men and Nivea. I am going to enjoy the now because the grass isn't necessarily greener on the other side.

Okay, I am done philosophizing. Now it is on to what you all came to read: quotes from Kierra. This time I will post two conversations we had.

The first conversation happened while we were at the church playing in the grass. Kierra started the conversation while looking at the steeple.
Kierra: Dad, where is the statue of Angel Moroni?
Me: It is on the temple, not the church.
Kierra: Dad, Angel Moroni...she looks like a man.
Me: Kierra, Moroni is a man.
Kierra: Dad, Angel Moroni...he looks like a woman

The next experience happened while I was home alone with Kierra and had to go to the bathroom.
Kierra (through the bathroom door): Dad, I brought you the scissors.
Me: Thanks, will you put them on the counter. I will be out in a minute.
Kierra: Okay...dad, I'm not bleeding.
Me: You're not bleeding? Did you get hurt?
Kierra: No, I didn't get hurt, and I am not bleeding.
Me: Are you sure you didn't get hurt?
Kierra: Only a little bit, but I am not bleeding. I am not going to play with scissors anymore...only toy scissors.
(She really was NOT bleeding, and I typically do an okay job of keeping an eye on her.)

5 comments:

Lott said...

Kierra is so funny! I can't believe how chunky Ariana is; I really need to see that little girl. Also, you have learned young the importance of being grateful for where you are. Wait til the first car trip after potty training...next stop, side of the road!

TXlaps said...

Wait until you hear "I brought you your car keys, and I'm not bleeding." Fortunately quite a while yet before she gets her license.

Michael and Michelle said...

that is too cute!! you have a way fun family... it's too bad you Broncos aren't that fun:(. Brett Favre is the man:).j/k peace out dogg...

adorable pearsons said...

I can't believe how different Ariana looks. She is chunking up- yeah for chubby babies! I totally agree- Kamree is now crawling and I miss the days of lazy fat and happy! But I am going to enjoy these days b/c sure enough soon it will turn into running and then we all know what happens next- they talk! I don't know if i can handle two talking girls

Tyson said...

I really enjoyed the philosophizing! That is a hard lesson to learn even after having that realization.

Your kids are awesome. Aimee can't wait to have children. I am trying appeal to her logic...but it isn't working so well! We need to come visit. That would mean we could hang out, plus Aimee will get her baby fix so that she can wait a while longer. Hahaa!